Insta @ needlework.crossings

Hi there sweet friends, nice of you to stop by!

Prim and folkart needlework designs of drab reds, browns, golds and greens are what I fancy.

Let's share stitchin, sewin, nestin, cookin, collectin, prims, critters and a lovin' mishmash of sweet life...

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Stabilizer ~ Schmazilizer...

Hi Sweet Friends!

Have you maybe been scratching your noggin about the recent chatter of using a *stabilizer* on ornie finishes?  I was, so I've been experimenting with stabilizers and wanted to share:)

Before assembling an ornie, iron-on stabilizer (aka fusible) can be applied to the wrong side of the fabby.  Using this product stiffens the fabby producing a more flat than round ornie.  I prefer the flat look and have been experimenting with a stabilizer/brand name *Pellon*.  It comes in different weights from lightweight to heavyweight, found mine at JoAnn Fabrics ($2.50/yard minus coupon = cheap).  It's in a special *stabilizer* section and comes on a bolt like any other fabric.  Other brand names are available, but *Pellon* was easy to find so that's what I used.

I've used the lightweight and found very little *stiffening* on my fabby.  Yesterday I bought Pellon 808 (commonly used to assemble purses/tote bags) and will try that also.  Like many times before when experimenting, I've no idea what the success or failure results might be!

In the past, I've cut my stabilizer 1/4 inch shorter than my fabby (assuming a 1/4 inch seam) so the sewing machine needle doesn't have to go through the stabilizer.

Wanna see how stabilizer is used?  *Make It Love It* HERE  has a post about stabilizers, scroll down a bit.

Hmmm... does anyone know if a stabilizer produces good stiffening results on over-dyed wools?

I'm not suggesting Pellon is the best or only stabilizer out there, so if you've got anything to share on this topic about products, ease of use or in general ~ please let's hear from you!

Thanks ever so much for stopping by:)

Tootles, Sue   

7 comments:

  1. Hey Sue,
    Great info. I have used light weight stablizer to hide carries on a small stitched piece. It was a light fabroc and had sprinkled black stitches over the background. So you apply the stablizer before and then stitched your dots on throught the stablizer. It hides carries.
    I hope thtis makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used the light weight stuff for backing on a little finish if I'm stuffing it with crushed walnut shells so it doesn't come through the linen.
    Let me know how the heavier stuff works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't used that - guess I should check in to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea from Chris! I've used the lightweight black fusible to hide the darker thread carries after stitching but never thought of using the white before. The black also tones down/darkens the entire project. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. have used many different weights of it when proper sewing .. but haven't actually used it on my stitching till the other day .. have bought some light weight iron on interfacing and used on a small ... haven't had time to make it up yet though will let you know what I think later :)love mouse xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used the medium weight one a fair bit on the Blackbird Designs stockings (have about 20 of them done or something), though I'm sure you don't really *need* to do them with stabilizer if you are using a stiff linen fabric when stitching them. It does seem to help the softer, more pliable linens, like the WDW ones, when putting them together though. They stand up nice and crisp like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only tried the light weight stabilizer but want to try the medium weight--especially after reading Melanie's comment!

    ReplyDelete

A visit from a friend is like a piece of fine chocolate ~ always looked forward to, sincerely appreciated, over with and gone too soon... and leaving you wanting more:)

Sweet thanks for sharing a moment of your day ♥

stitchinsweetsue {at} gmail {dot} com